Social Mood Conference  |  Socionomics Foundation

March 3, 2015

catalonia-flag-wikiIn November, Catalonia held an unofficial, nonbinding vote on a proposal to secede from Spain. Eighty percent of voters favored the proposal. Now, Catalonia’s president wants to hold a snap election on independence as part of a September general election, according to a March 2 CNBC article. Spain opposes independence for Catalonia, which accounts for 20% percent of the Spanish economy. Catalonia’s president, Artur Mas, says Spain should be “perfectly able” to survive with the remaining 80%.

Spain’s IBEX 35 Index is down 30% compared to its 2007 high. Secessionist sentiment is driven by negative social mood, as explained in this article.


 

If you look closely, you can see patterns in social mood that help you predict social trends. Learn more with the Socionomics Premier Membership.

Tags